BACKGROUND AND HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
St. Stephen's Kisugu Church stands at an area of 8 acres donated by Sewanyama. It serves the village of Kisugu, Muyenga, Kibuli, Kabalagala, Wabigalo and Namuwongo.
St. Stephen's Church stands almost next to Kibuli Mosque that was built on one of the seven beautiful hills of Kampala, which makes it stand in humble obscurity, however this humble obscurity does not make St. Stephen's Church Kisugu any less prominent. The most interesting feature of St. Stephen's Kisugu Church is its closeness to the community it serves. As a matter of fact, the church stands almost immersed among homes, sharing fellowship with them, which every Church should do.
The Historical Background:
The last years of the 19th Century were stormy years in the life of the Christianity Church in Uganda. Not only did they witness, perhaps one of the most bitter persecutions of Christianity in the whole of Africa which fortunately though, gave Uganda the Honor of getting Martyrs, they also saw some fierce religious wars between Christians and Muslims. One of such wars is known as the Kabula war (1888-1890). The first quarter of the 20th century saw a spill over of the consequences and results of these wars. For example after the Kabula war when Christians emerged victorious, many Christian chiefs who had fled pledged to build Churches on their return to their homes. This was in glorification of the Almighty God who had protected them during the war.
One of the prominent Chiefs who fulfilled his pledge was Daniel Lwanga Muwuliriza who owned three Square miles of lad stretching from Kibuli to Kansanga and beyond. Muwuliriza donated some ten acres for the Church to be built in his area. Originally, he had intended the Church to be built at Kansanga where he was eventually buried, but he was persuaded to build near his headquarters at Kisugu(Kibuli). Hense the choice of the site where St. Stephen's Kisugu Church of Uganda presently stands.
No one seems to tell with absolute certainty when St. Stephen's Kisugu, COU was built. However, evidence from some exhaustive research reveals that the Church was already existing by 1914. In fact, it appears that it was built during the first decade of the 20th Century, possibly between 1905-1908. One thing is clear, the Church registered her first Baptism on the 11th October 1914.
The first person to be baptized was Beza Polina Nabitya. Her address is recorded as being of C/O Zezefu Mukagye of Kuwuliriza.
The Church had a humble beginning. The earliest Church building was made of wattle and mud and thatched with grass. The Church did not have her own Catechist. It appears that on some Sundays a group of Church leaders from Namirembe to conduct services at the Church. These were festive Sundays, withdrums being beaten throughout the previous evenings. When services were over and visitors gone, the Church was left in the care of Mr. Isaka. Mr. Isaka acted both as a caretaker and catechist, taking services on the other Sundays when there were no visitors. IN fact we can say that he was the first Church leader of St. Stephen's kisugu, COU. Mr. Isaka actually died at the Church and was burried just across the road near where the present Primary School now stands. By the time he died however, he was assistant to Sira Kiwanuka.
Personal Mission: Building the local Church through making disciples. Matthew 28: 18- 20.. Key Qualifications: An MA in Christian Ministry, a Diploma in theology and a Certificate in Missions. Main Skills: Leadership in church and church affiliated organizations, excellent communications skills, public speaking, good management skills (people, assets and finance),...